Varicose veins require mandatory treatment, because without it the pathology only progresses and the person's condition worsens. In the case of an uncomplicated course of the disease can be used folk remedies for the treatment of varicose veins, which, if necessary, are prescribed in addition to drugs.
Varicose veins are a fairly common disease characterized by a change in the shape and size of the venous vessels, most commonly the lower extremities. There are also varicose veins of the esophagus, hemorrhoidal veins.
Varicose veins are seen in men and women over the age of 50, although the incidence of varicose veins has increased in younger people.
The disease can cause swelling, heaviness, bleeding and infection of trophic ulcers formed due to varicose veins. A person can suffer from leg cramps, redness and often a change in skin color in the ankle area. Physiological examination is often sufficient for diagnosis, while ultrasound is used for a more detailed examination of the veins.
Basic features of varicose veins
It has certain properties that are characteristic of venous pathology. If you know about them, you can properly perform prevention and treatment of varicose veins with folk remedies.
- The disease affects about 50-55% of women and 40-45% of men (in the US). Also, varicose veins are found in half of people aged 50 and over.
- Varicose veins are not always just a cosmetic problem. The disease can affect how a person enjoys life and in severe cases can lead to serious health problems.
- Varicose veins and spider veins are hereditary pathologies. If a person has family members with varicose veins, this increases the risk of the disease.
- There is a connection with body weight - if you are overweight, the patient is more likely to develop varicose veins.
- It has to do with gender - women are more likely to get varicose veins than men.
- It has to do with age - as you get older, varicose veins and venous insufficiency become more and more disturbing.
- Varicose veins are very common during pregnancy, but they usually disappear on their own within 3 months of birth.
- Varicose veins often develop against the background of hormonal disorders. Also, medicines containing female birth control hormones or hormone replacement therapy increase the risk of developing varicose veins.
- Illness can be work-related. Sitting or standing for long periods of time can worsen the condition of the venous system. Frequent crossing of the legs also contributes to the progression of the disease, as this position impedes blood flow through the vessels.
- Varicose veins can cause discomfort - heaviness, tightness, pain when walking and cramps in the calf muscles, especially at night.
- The doctor can easily diagnose a pathological condition - sometimes the diagnosis is made based on how the patient feels, in other cases - based on a physical examination of the legs.
- Duplex ultrasound is the best way to assess the condition of the venous system. This ultrasound imaging test is based on sound waves to examine the structure and size of the veins and measure blood flow.
- Varicose veins are usually found on the legs, while spider veins are common on both the legs and the face.
- Over time, the course of varicose veins can worsen and cause structural changes in the skin - ulcers. In severe cases, the ulcer does not heal and increases the swelling of the tissues with concomitant hardening of the skin.
- Itching in the ankle area can be a sign not only of dry skin, but also of a more serious condition - varicose veins, which also often causes itching and burning sensation.
- If a varicose vein is damaged, it may bleed more than you would expect. In such cases, excessive bleeding is the result of an increased amount of blood accumulating in the vein.
- In 2-3% of people with varicose veins, blood clots (thrombi) are detected, while in 25% of cases the formed clot can move to deeper veins. This contributes to the development of deep vein thrombosis, a serious condition that requires immediate medical attention. Improving blood flow to the legs can help prevent blood clots from forming.
- If the pain is bothersome, redness / swelling around the varicose vein is determined, or if the pain is persistent, you should see a phlebologist immediately.
- Changing your lifestyle can help you strengthen your veins. It is important to make adjustments in your daily routine, especially when it comes to losing weight and lifting your legs and avoiding sitting or standing for long periods.
- Compression socks can help improve the overall condition - these special tights or high socks are made of elastic material and press the legs during wear. They are often the first step in treating varicose veins.
- If lifestyle changes and compression stockings don't work, there are other options. In particular, some treatments for varicose veins are performed, which can relieve symptoms and improve the appearance of the legs. These may include microinvasive procedures such as endovenous ablation, sclerotherapy or microphlebectomy. There are also more radical invasive therapies such as ligation and removal of veins.
- The most affordable are folk remedies, which in some cases are used to treat varicose veins quite effectively.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there an effective treatment of varicose veins with folk remedies?
Medical treatment for varicose veins can be quite expensive, so the suggested home remedies can help reduce the severity of the disease as well as the level of discomfort it often causes.
Parsley Parsley Rich in vitamin C, it is a powerful antioxidant. It stimulates collagen production and helps cells to recover and reproduce. Parsley can also strengthen capillaries because it contains rutin, and reducing the size of blood vessels can help reduce the levels of pain often associated with varicose veins.
Cooking: Boil a handful of fresh parsley in a glass of water for 5 minutes. The solution was removed from the heat and allowed to cool to room temperature. The product is filtered and one drop of rose and calendula essential oils is added to it.
Application: using a cotton swab, the product is applied to areas of varicose veins. Such treatment is performed daily for several months, after which positive results should be determined. Including raw parsley in your diet also helps improve your venous health.
A berry like blueberries can strengthen the walls of the veins and promote good blood circulation. These little gifts of nature are rich in vitamin C and flavonoids. It is enough to eat them a little raw every day or use them with tea to improve your health. To do this, add a teaspoon of blueberries to a glass of warm water. Drink two glasses a day for best results.
Marigold flowers are another popular herb that can improve vein health. The plant makes the vessels less susceptible to degeneration and destruction for a long time. In particular, you can make tea using marigold flowers, which helps to repair damaged tissues and reduce swelling in the lower extremities. Also, such a tool helps to reduce the level of pain.
If you are interested in ointments to treat varicose veins, then you can make a calendula cream. To prepare it, take a few petals and soak them in water, then add the strained solution to the usual moisturizer. You should apply such a remedy before going to bed every night and then the desired results will be achieved.
These small chestnuts form the basis of the best folk remedy suitable for home treatment of varicose veins and spider veins.
Preparation: Mix 5 tablespoons of crushed chestnuts (equivalent to 50 g) with 1 liter of water. To do this, let the water boil and add chestnuts to it. Cook the mixture for about 10 minutes. The liquid is then filtered.
Application: Drink the product warm. This recipe is used every day.
What are the simple methods of treating varicose veins with folk remedies at home?
Massageis a great option for sore and sensitive legs, which often occur with varicose veins. Also, the massage is performed to prevent problems associated with a sedentary lifestyle or spending a lot of time on your feet.
During the massage you should perform circular movements, not pressing hard, but rubbing more. You should start from the ankles and feet, gradually climbing to the thighs. The procedure will be much more effective when using essential oils. For varicose veins essential oils such as ginger, chamomile, lemongrass, sage and more. They are the best.
- Lemongrass oilhelps improve blood circulation and is excellent for treating varicose veins, as it prevents blood stasis and blood clots. .
- Ginger oilProvides a pleasant feeling of warmth during use. It also contains antioxidant compounds that help the body eliminate waste products and reduce inflammation. The combination of these two directions of action can improve blood circulation in the lower extremities.
- Chamomile oilhelps reduce the heaviness and discomfort that pulsating veins can cause.
- Sage teais great for treating menopausal symptoms, but is also good for reducing swelling and preventing intravascular coagulation.
- Peppermint oilhas a warming effect, thus stimulating blood circulation. This oil is also fantastically anti-inflammatory and analgesic.
- Cypress oilis one of the most effective essential oils for reducing and preventing varicose veins. Strengthens blood capillaries, improves blood circulation and reduces pain associated with varicose veins.
- German chamomile oilis one of the most powerful anti-inflammatory essential oils. Adding it to the massage mixture helps other oils to more actively restore, tone and strengthen the walls and valves of the veins.
- Gelichrizum Oilis one of the best restorative oils for damaged skin, veins and tissues. Its anticoagulant properties help dissolve blood clots and reduce the chance of platelet precipitation. Gelichrizum also improves blood circulation and eliminates local inflammation, making it one of the most effective essential oils for reducing varicose veins.
- Peppermint oilPeppermint oil has a cooling effect that reduces pain, stimulates circulation and reduces inflammation. When used in combination with heating oil such as black pepper, it has a synergistic effect that dilates and narrows blood vessels. As a result, blood circulation is stimulated.
- Rosemary oilis especially useful for the development of arterial and peripheral circulation. Its warming properties help the blood to move in vessels of different sizes.
- Sandalwood oil, but reconstructs veins, stimulates healthy blood circulation and helps reduce varicose veins.
- Yarrow oil- a plant known for its balancing properties. It is a fantastic stimulant of the entire circulatory system and helps move stagnant blood in the veins to its destination.
Depending on the recipe, two or three oils can be mixed or all at once. At the same time it is important to follow the dosage of essential oils, which are most often indicated in drops.
Contrast showeris another home remedy that is available to most people with varicose veins. It is enough for 10-20 seconds to alternate pouring cold and hot water on your feet to get rid of fatigue and discomfort.
Raising the legs above the level of the heartis a simple and effective way to improve the condition of varicose veins. Sometimes it is enough to put your feet on the wall after work to feel better after 10 minutes.
What are the reviews for the treatment of varicose veins with folk remedies?
The most affordable and relatively safe are folk remedies, which is why they are used mainly by patients with varicose veins for treatment. There are different opinions about the effectiveness of such methods of influence and there are reasons for this. Users often mention them in their reviews.
- "I welcome the treatment of varicose veins only with folk remedies. I myself start using them in the first place, even before visiting a doctor and taking any medications. However, varicose veins can be treated with non-traditional methods if not started. I did it differently. For a long time I did not pay attention to the symptoms until I saw how varicose veins disrupted my normal life activities. Then, after visiting a doctor, she began using venotonic and venous drug courses. As a result, the fatigue almost disappeared and I began to feel better. Now I take it on prevention courses. "
- "Any medicine for varicose veins, folk or medicinal, alone will never help deal with the disease. You have to eat right, exercise and shower, exercise and only then can you count on something positive. "
- "I believe that folk remedies for varicose veins can only help if they grew up either in their own garden or on a well-known farm. And so in the store they sell, it is not known what and how it was obtained. I prescribed an angioprotective drug for myself and the price is right and my stomach does not hurt after it. "
In this way, folk remedies help only at an early stage of the development of varicose veins, and since not everyone can use them properly, it is often easier and more effective to treat with drugs. The only thing is that you should consult a doctor before taking any medication.